Does drinking water help liver longer? Proper hydration is a key factor in maintaining a healthy lifestyle and prolonging life, according to a study conducted by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and published in the Lancet eBioMedicine journal. The study reviewed data from over 11,000 individuals over a period of 30 years. It found that those who were better hydrated had fewer chronic conditions and showed fewer signs of biological aging. The study was authored by Natalia Dmitrieva, PhD, a researcher at the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI). According to Dmitrieva, “the results suggest that proper hydration may slow down aging and prolong a disease-free life”.
How to increase water intake?
To increase water intake, there are several simple ways that can help individuals achieve proper hydration:
- One such way is using an intake-tracking water bottle. Carrying a reusable water bottle can increase overall water intake, and intake-tracking water bottles, which hold up to a gallon of water and are marked to indicate how much has been consumed, make it easy to maintain a consistent pace of hydration throughout the day.
- Another way to increase water intake is by setting reminders throughout the day. Many individuals forget to drink water. Thus, setting a reminder on an app or alarm clock can help establish a hydration routine.
- Tying water drinking habits to other aspects of daily routines, such as mealtimes, brushing teeth, and taking work breaks.
- Additionally, consuming more water-rich foods, such as melons, cucumbers, strawberries, and tomatoes, can help increase overall water intake by 20%. These water-rich foods are typically plant-based and low in calories, making them a healthy snack option.
- Finally, accountability is key in making changes to health habits. By committing to a friend to drink more water and regularly checking progress, individuals may find it easier to stay on track. As the NIH study suggests, proper hydration is essential for a healthier and longer life. These simple steps can help individuals achieve it.